Thursday, February 9

A little knowledge from back home

As many of you know, I am originally from the Pacific Northwest, more specifically the greater Seattle, WA area.  As I was browsing some industry articles, I came across one from my previous USGA regional agronomist back home and was suprised to see pictures of Safeco Field (home of the Seattle Mariners).  After wondering what my USGA agronomist was doing looking at sports turf, I read the article and realized it carried a great message about shade. 

The amount of turf on a baseball field isn't very much compared to a golf course, but every inch of it must be perfect at all times (at least until the end of September since the Mariners can't seem to play baseball in October).  Even with the amount of time, money, and scrutiny they give the field, they still struggle mightily with shade from the grandstands.  Despite underground heating and cooling systems and perfect drainage and a retractable roof, the lack of sun will still kick your ass. 

As a result, the crew at Safeco is experimenting with portable lights to "sun" the portions of turf that have in years past struggled and required re-sodding.  This brings me to my ultimate point-shade makes growing grass difficult.  Even in a relatively controlled environment in a part of the country where summer stress doesn't really exist in most years, they can't grow it in the shade.

So please read the article, it's not very long.   Keep in mind the double-edged sword that are trees on the golf course, and maybe think twice if you see me thinning or removing tree canopy before cussing me out.

http://www.usga.org/course_care/regional_updates/regional_reports/northwest/Seeing-The-Light---January-2012/

No comments:

Post a Comment